Saturday, December 26, 2009

Forgiveness

This year I've revisited the basics of my faith; forgiveness being one of the cornerstones of what I find it means to be a christian. I've been forgiven through Christ of the great debt I owe for all of my hate, selfishness, pride that eats away at me like a cancer disfiguring my soul and tainting my perspective... My record of wrongs has been erased and washed clean with his blood as payment for my sin. In exchange for my filth he gives me a promise that he will cause all things to work together for good, he gives me life, love, and hope for a brighter tomorrow. He makes me whole and heals my personality flaws, physical ailments, and the core of who I am. It is almost too much to comprehend. As a result of encountering so much of his goodness, I know that his royal pardon from punishment requires me in turn to forgive others regardless of how great or small their offenses are against me. Like Jesus, I have the ability to pardon others through forgiveness not as a reflection of who others are, but as a reflection of who I am as a daughter of the king. To me, forgiveness is releasing others from punishment and giving them permission to live happily ever after. Forgiveness is the door to life because without it parts of me begin to die while I still live and I cannot walk this road in faith assured of salvation. Without it I open the door to all sorts of havoc to be wrecked in my life. As I forgive others I too am forgiven.

"If you forgive those who sin against you, your heavenly Father will forgive you. But if you refuse to forgive others, your Father will not forgive your sins." Matt 6:14-15

No comments: